Tacoma, Wash., to host 67th annual SMA
David Beech and the members of BLET Division 238 in Tacoma, Wash., are
proud to host the 67th annual International Western Convention from May
"We have many exciting attractions planned for this event,"
said Brother Beech, who is Local Chairman of Division 238.
Scheduled events for the 2007 IWC include a dinner cruise on Commencement
Bay, the Spirit of Washington Dinner Train with a tour of the Columbia Winery
in Woodinville, Wash., and a family tour of Tacoma with stops at the Washington
State History Museum, Tacoma Art Museum, and the Point Defiance Zoo.
But as everyone knows, education and training represents a large portion
of any BLET regional meeting. The 2007 IWC is no exception, offering classes
for local chairmen, secretary-treasurers, division presidents, legislative
representatives, and more.
Instead of the usual BLET-only golf tournament, the 2007 IWC will offer
the Tacoma Union Solidarity Golf Tournament on Sunday, May 20, 2007.
The IWC is inviting members and officers from the Brotherhood of Locomotive
Engineers and Trainmen, the Brotherhood of Maintenance of Way Employees
(BMWE), United Transportation Union (UTU), the International Longshore and
Warehouse Union (ILWU), the Transportation Communications Union (TCU), the
Brotherhood of Railroad Signalmen (BRS), and the International Brotherhood
of Teamsters (IBT).
"We have also invited General President James P. Hoffa, UTU President
Paul Thompson, and our own President Don Hahs," Beech said.
In a show of union solidarity, this golf tournament is being assembled
by members of BLET Local Divisions 238, 892, 518 and UTU Locals 556 and
"We are anticipating a large turnout this year and recommend that
you register as soon as possible for any activities and classes that you
would like to attend," Brother Beech said.
The IWC planners have secured a special group rate for the 2007 convention
at the Sheraton Tacoma Hotel. Members can register on-line at: http://www.starwoodmeeting.com/StarGroupsWeb/booking/reservation?id=0703090050&key=46889
For members flying into Tacoma, the closest airport is the Seattle/Tacoma
International Airport. The airport code is SEA. The Sheraton Tacoma Hotel
uses Capitol Aeroporter for shuttle service to and from the airport. Members
can view their schedule and pricing at http://www.capair.com .
Brother Beech and his committee have gone to great lengths to make the
2007 IWC an event to remember. Anyone with questions about registration
should e-mail Brother Beech at: firstname.lastname@example.org
IWC registration form
as a PDF
- Tentative Agenda
- 2007 IWC
- Sunday May 20
- · Noon to 5 p.m.: Union Solidarity Golf Tournament, with members
of the IBT, BLET, BMWE, UTU, TCU, and ILWU at Allenmore Golf Course in
- ·Noon to 6 p.m.: Registration in the Bicentennial Pavilion,
Sheraton Tacoma Hotel.
- · 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.: DLC sponsored welcome reception, Room
- Monday, May 21
- · 9 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.: Opening ceremonies in Rooms A,G, and
D of the Bicentennial Pavilion.
- · Noon to 1:30 p.m.: Lunch in Rooms A,G, and D of the Bicentennial
- · 1:30 p.m. to 3:30 p.m.: BLET closed meeting, Room C.
- · 1:30 p.m. to 3:30 p.m.: GIA open meeting , 2nd Floor Boardroom.
- · 6 p.m. to Midnight: Commencement Bay Dinner Cruise, limited
to the first 150 who register. Formal attire. More details at:
- Tuesday, May 22
- · 9 a.m. to noon, 1:30 to 4 p.m.: Local Chairmen workshop, Room
- · 9 a.m. to noon, 1:30 to 4 p.m.: Secretary-Treasurer workshop,
- · 9 a.m. to noon: Division Legislative Representative workshop,
- · Noon to 1:30 p.m.: Lunch, Room D
- · 1:30 p.m. to 4 p.m.: Presidents Bylaws, Constitution
and Change to Win workshop, Room F.
- · There will be a tour of Tacoma open to all family members
during today's classroom schedule with stops at the Washington State History
Museum, the Tacoma Art Museum, Point Defiance Zoo and Aquarium and lunch
will be served at Anthony's Homeport at Point Defiance.
- · 5 p.m. to 11 p.m.: Spirit of Washington Dinner Train with
a tour of the Columbia Winery. Train leaves depot at 6:30 p.m. and entire
train excursion is approximately three hours and 15 minutes. For details
and menu, visit the dinner train's website: http:/www.spiritofwashingtondinnertrain.com
- Wednesday, May 23
- · 7 a.m. to 8:30 a.m.: Breakfast
- · 9 a.m. to noon: Arbitration Data Base Access, Room C.
- · 1:30 p.m. to 3 p.m.: Advanced Local Chairman workshop, Room
- · 9 a.m. to noon: Homeland Security and Radiation Safety workshop,
- · 1:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.: Radiation Safety and Haz-Mat workshop,
- · 9 a.m. to noon: Division LR/Political Activism/Union Solidarity
workshop, Room E.
- · 1:30 p.m. to 2:30 p.m.: Railroad Retirement Board, Room E.
- · Noon to 1:30 p.m.: Lunch, Room D.
- · 3:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.: BLET closed finance/IWC meeting ,
2nd Floor Boardroom.
- · 6 p.m. to Midnight: Closing ceremonies and banquet/dinner
, Rooms A&B.
- Thursday, May 24
- The IWC has a few extra day trips planned that can be taken if there
are enough participants. Please contact David Beech at 253-471-2969 to
make reservations at your earliest convenience.
- · Mt. St. Helens Observatory - Trip consists of scenic transportation
to Mt. Saint Helens with a light hike to the observation point and a picnic
style lunch. Cost will be approximately $80 to $100 based on participation.
From 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
- · Pike Place Market in Seattle - This trip could be arranged
with stops at Seattle Center and possibly an underground tour if there
is enough interest. Cost will be approximately $70 to $90 based on participation.
From 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- · Puget Sound Salmon Charters can take from 4 to 6 people per
boat on a seven hour fishing trip for about $100 per person. Fishing licenses
are available on the boat for an additional $7.00 per person. (Unfortunately,
salmon season is closed, but cod, sole and flounder fishing is available.)
© 2007 Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers and Trainmen