BLET announces Long Term Disability plan for NS members

The BLET's Norfolk Southern General Committees of Adjustment are pleased to announce details of a Long Term Disability Plan for its members.

NS Vice General Chairman W.A. "Billy" Thompson is the plan's Administrator and all questions should be directed to him.

Brother Thompson provided the following information to the National Division for distribution:

Important Information Regarding the Norfolk Southern Disability Coverage

Effective January 1, 2005, we have determined that there are 4,821 Engineers on the eligibility list qualifying for benefits from the plan predicated by the preponderance of their earnings.

Each year, a review of all engineer's earnings will be made from July 1 through June 30 to determine who is eligible. Coverage will be updated every January 1. Coverage begins January 1, 2005.

What should I do if I become disabled?

Call the plan administrator, Vice General Chairman W.A. "Billy" Thompson, at his office (724) 695-3435 or his cell (412) 848-1289 as soon as possible if you believe that you will be out of work longer than 30 days. You don't need to wait until 30 days goes by. This way the process will start sooner, getting you paid quicker.

Vice General Chairman Thompson will complete the employer section of a claim form and verify eligibility. He will mail you the claim form. Fill out the employee section and have your doctor complete the doctor section. Mail or fax the completed form and medical records to UNUMProvident at the following address. The address is also at the top of the claim form.

How is my claim processed by UNUM Provident once they receive my claim form?

Your claim starts out in the Intake Department. A representative of the Intake Department will review your claim to make sure that all sections are included and that all of the required fields have been filled out. Then the Intake Specialist will route your claim to the appropriate benefit specialist, based upon your diagnosis, in one of five impairment units (cardiac, cancer, orthopedic, behavioral health or general medical) for management or payment.

Your benefits specialist will then review the claim and may request additional medical records from your physician. Once the benefit specialist has received all of the requested information, the file will be reviewed and a decision will be determined. You must be considered medically disabled and unable to perform the material and substantial duties of your regular occupation according to your policy.

How do I check on the status of my claim once it has been received by UNUM Provident?

Call the UNUM Provident Contact Center at (800) 858-6843. The Contact Center cannot make a decision about your eligibility to collect benefits but can answer many of the questions that you might have about your claim, i.e. "What is needed to complete my claim?" Your claims specialist requested the MRI report from your Physician, once he receives that; we can make a decision on your claim.

What should I do if I have a question or concern that I feel UNUM Provident can't help me with or if I have a question regarding the plan benefits?

Call Locomotive Disability Specialists at (800) 596-6445. Regina Cione, Christy Del Pizzo or Jim DiDonato will assist you with any questions. A PDF outlining the plan is on the BLET website at: 7_27_04.pdf .


© 2005 Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers and Trainmen