Open enrollment for the BLET Short-Term Disability On-The-Job (Part B) coverage
INDEPENDENCE, Ohio, October 29 — Open Enrollment for the BLET’s Short-Term Disability On-The-Job (Part B) insurance through MetLife will end on October 31, 2018. Those who enroll will have their coverage take effect on November 1, 2018.
Part B allows members to maximize the Short-Term Disability benefit by extending the coverage to 24-hour protection. This protects members when they are injured on the job, including while riding in a crew van. However, only 2 in 10 eligible BLET members are currently enrolled in On-The-Job coverage and there are many members who believe they are enrolled or who used to be enrolled but may have fallen out of coverage.
If you are unsure about your Part B status or would like to enroll please call the designated BLET MetLife hotline at (224) 848-4941.
On-The-Job (Part B) Voluntary Coverage— Occupational Disabilities
On-The-Job coverage is voluntary. Participation in this additional occupational coverage is not required.
Benefits and coverage are as follows:
• Benefits are $375 per week for non-occupational disabilities, for up to a maximum of 52 weeks.
• Protects while riding in a Crew Van and during your stay at the away from home terminal.
• There is a 14-day waiting period before benefits are paid.
• The monthly premium is $20.00. Premiums are paid through an automatic direct debit from your checking or savings account on the 15th of each month.
• Benefits are not subject to repayment upon receipt of a FELA settlement or any other personal injury settlement.
• Part B benefits are not taxable.
Locomotive engineers working on a participating railroad have Off-The-Job (Part A) coverage through the BLET Short-Term Disability Plan and coverage will automatically continue based on continuing eligibility. Those who are eligible for Part A may enroll in Part B.
Your initial and continued eligibility for the On-The-Job (Part B) coverage remains dependent on your eligibility for Part A. In order to be eligible for Part A, you must maintain seven (7) starts in each month with one (1) start as an engineer in order to be covered in the following month.
If you are currently enrolled in and are paying for the On-The-Job (Part B) coverage, no action is required for coverage to continue.
How to Get Enrolled in the On-The-Job Coverage (Part B)
Enrollment options include:
• Online, by visiting: https://uniondisability.com/groups/blet-short-term-disability-metlife-a-b/
• Over the phone by calling the designated BLET MetLife hotline at (224) 848-4941.
The open enrollment will end on October 31, 2018 and coverage will become effective on November 1, 2018.
Note: The participating railroads are: Belt Railway of Chicago; Conrail Shared Assets; CSX Transportation, including Bombardier Transportation Services (who took over CSXT-operated MARC commuter service); CP–D&H; CP–Soo Line; KCS; Longview Switching; Metra; Portland Terminal; Terminal Railway – Alabama State Docks; and Union Pacific.
Monday, October 29, 2018
Like us on Facebook at
Sign up for BLET News Flash Alerts