BLET families win 19 Hoffa scholarships for 2013-14 school year
CLEVELAND, June 2 — Nineteen BLET families were winners of scholarships from the James R. Hoffa Memorial Scholarship Fund for the 2013-14 academic year, including two top level $10,000 recipients.
Winners of the $10,000 scholarships are:
• Alexa Gomez, daughter of William F. Gomez of BLET Division 871 (Slaton, Texas), a BNSF locomotive engineer; and
• Brandon Thigpen, son of R.S. Thigpen of BLET Division 35 (Jacksonville, Fla.), an Amtrak engineer.
There are 12 BLET families who won $1,000 scholarships. They are:
• Liliya Benz, daughter of K.J. Benz of Division 236 (Portland, Ore.), a Union Pacific engineer;
• Katelyn Bobbitt, daughter of J.P. Bobbitt of Division 194 (Houston, Texas), a Union Pacific engineer;
• Meghan Coburn, daughter of Robert E. Coburn of Division 934 (Cumberland, Md.), a CSX engineer;
• Ellery Cushman, daughter of Gregory Cushman of Division 871 (Slaton, Texas), a BNSF engineer;
• Alice Greider, daughter of D.L. Greider of Division 483 (Philadelphia), an Amtrak engineer;
• Britney Hammel, daughter of Douglas A. Lynch of Division 28 (Tucson, Ariz.), a Union Pacific engineer;
• Kerstie Hillman, daughter of David M. Hillman of Division 781 (Erwin, Tenn.), a CSX engineer;
• Kamryn Long, daughter of K.A. Long of Division 242 (Ennis, Texas), a Union Pacific engineer;
• Sarah Palmer, daughter of Mark Palmer of BLET Division 692 (Tracy, Calif.), a Union Pacific engineer;
• Courtney Pinard, daughter of B.R. Pinard of Division 28 (Tucson, Ariz.), a Union Pacific engineer;
• Jessica Smith, daughter of Samuel T. Smith of Division 94 (Gillette, Wyo.), a BNSF engineer; and
• Melanie Wilmesher, daughter of James F. Wilmesher of Division 256 (Denver, Colo.), a BNSF locomotive engineer and Chairman of the Colorado State Legislative Board.
There are five BLET winners ($1,000 each) of the Hoffa essay contest. They are:
• Jonah Erickson, daughter of R.W. Erickson, Local Chairman of Division 398 (San Bernardino, Calif.) a BNSF engineer;
• Cassandra Hale, daughter of Mark D. Hale of BLET Division 781 (Erwin, Tenn.), a CSX locomotive engineer;
• Alexis Morton, daughter of W.M. Morton of Division 500 (Cleburne, Texas), a BNSF engineer;
• Mackayla Thyfault, daughter of B.W. Thyfault of Division 22 (El Paso, Texas), a Union Pacific trainman; and
• Karen VanOvermeiren, daughter of Timothy J. VanOvermeiren of Division 290 (Superior, Wisc.), a BNSF engineer.
About the scholarships
The James R. Hoffa Memorial Scholarship Fund awards scholarships annually to outstanding high school seniors. The application deadline is usually March 31 each year. Recipients are selected by an impartial committee of university admissions and financial aid directors based on academic achievement, SAT/ACT scores, character, potential and financial need. The Teamsters consider all applicants without regard to race, religion, gender, disability, or any other legally protected status. For more information, please visit the Teamsters website.
Monday, June 02, 2014
Like us on Facebook at
Sign up for BLET News Flash Alerts