RRB announces 2020 Pre-Retirement Seminars
INDEPENDENCE, Ohio, February 6 — The U.S. Railroad Retirement Board (RRB) has announced is schedule of Pre-Retirement Seminars for 2020.
Designed for union officers and railroad employees and spouses planning to retire within five years, Pre-Retirement Seminars will familiarize attendees with the retirement benefits available to them, and also guide them through the application process. Also, each seminar closes with a brief presentation on railroad unemployment and sickness benefits to help prepare union officers for sharing reliable information with their members. Advance registration is required for those wishing to attend a Pre-Retirement Seminar.
Sponsored by the Office of the Labor Member, the program began on a pilot basis in 2014. Due to the increasing popularity of the Pre-Retirement Seminars, coupled with a significant drop in attendance for its traditional Informational Conferences, the RRB in 2019 combined these usually separate programs into a single event (called Pre-Retirement Seminars) in an effort to fulfill current needs and to help better manage costs and field office resources.
RRB field service representatives conduct each Pre-Retirement Seminar using a slide presentation covering the various benefits provided to retired rail workers and their families. Attendees receive a program booklet of this presentation with detailed side notes and fact sheets. In addition to the program booklet, seminar attendees receive a retirement kit full of informational handouts and other helpful materials. Online and downloadable versions of items included with seminar kits are available on the RRB’s Educational Materials webpage.
Again, pre-registration is required to ensure accommodations and materials for all attendees. For those with plans to attend a Pre-Retirement Seminar, please note the following:
• Unless otherwise noted, Pre-Retirement Seminars begin at 8:30 a.m. and are held over the course of 4 hours. (Doors open for attendees 30 minutes before the seminar start time.)
• Security screening required for seminars hosted inside any Federal buildings. Bring a current, valid photo ID (issued by State/Federal Government); no weapons permitted.
• Attendees are encouraged to bring original records (or certified copies) of documents required in order to file a Railroad Retirement application (such as proof of age, marriage, or military service), along with an additional copy of each item to leave with field service staff.
• Please let the RRB know if you sign up for a seminar but then become unable to attend.
Dates and locations of the RRB’s 2020 pre-retirement seminars are as follows (click here to register online at the RRB website). Details and registration information for the following will be made available approximately 60 days prior to each event.
• March 27, 2020: Covina, CA
• April 24, 2020: Central Islip, NY
• April 24: Omaha, NE
• May 8: Boston, MA
• May 8: Denver, CO
• May 15: Kansas City, MO
• May 29: Cleveland, OH
• June 5: Little Rock, AR
• June 5: Newark, NJ
• June 12: Fort Worth, TX
• June 12: Indianapolis, IN
• June 26: Chicago, IL
• September 18: Albany, NY
• October 23: Philadelphia, PA
• October 30: Pittsburgh, PA
Thursday, February 6, 2020
Like us on Facebook at
Sign up for BLET News Flash Alerts